peace

Sunday 29 September 2013

100 Useful Arabic Words

I'm so grateful to my Sudanese colleagues and friends who have so patiently helped me learn their language and given me encouragement even when I didn't make a lot of progress.  I'm especially grateful for their help because I started from scratch, without the help of books, etc., and they brought me from knowing nothing to where I am now (although I'm not sure where that is).

Because I originally learned from friends instead of from books, I got to learn words that were immediately practical for me.  Here are 100 words I find useful and may be useful for anyone when first arriving in Sudan. I am indebted to my dear Arabic teacher for graciously reviewing them. (These words are in the Sudanese accent.)                 



Numbers
1
Wahid
2
Itneen
3
Talata
4
Arba3a*
5
Khamsa
6
Sitta
7
Sab3a
8
Tamanya
9
Tis3a
10
3ashara
11
Hidasher
12
Itnasher
Greetings
Peace to you
Assalam alaikum
And to you, peace
Wa alaikum assalam
How are you? 
Kaif? (literally: how)
I’m great
Tamaam
I’m fine
Kwayis/kwaysa
[I’m well] praise to God
Alhamdulillah
Fantastic/100%
Meya meya
Common Verbs
I am going
Mashi/masha
I want
Dayer/dayra
You said
Gulta/gulti
I thought
Fakarta
I ate
Akalta
We live
Sakneen
I have
3indi
Give (me)
Jeeb/Jeebi (first to males, second to females)
I work at
Shagala fi
Yes/No
Yes
Aiwa
No
La
Not (negation)
Ma
Pronouns
I
Ana
He
Hua
She
Hia
They
Hum
We
Nihna
You, you plural
Inta/inti, intu
Question Words
What?
Shinu?
Where?
Wain?
When?
Metain?
Who?
Minu?
How much?
Bi Kam?
How?
Kaif?
Prepositions
In
Fi
With
M3a, Be
From
Min
Without
Bedun
Inside
Juwa
Outside
Barrah
Beside
Janb
Before
Gabli
After
Ba3ad
Directions
Right
Yameen
Left
Shamal
Straight/directly
Tawali
Measures of Time
Minute
Dageega
Hour
Sa3a
Day
Youm
Month
Shahar
Year
Sana
Time
Zaman
Days of the Week
Sunday
Youm alahad
Monday
Youm alitneen
Tuesday
Youm attalata
Wednesday
Youm alarbi3a
Thursday
Youm alkhamees
Friday
Youm aljom3a
Saturday
Youm assabit
Nouns
Street
Shari3
House
Bayt
University
Jam3a
Church
Kaneesa
Pen
Galam
Water
Moya
Food
Akil
Tea and Related Words
Tea
Shai
Coffee
Jabanah, gahwa
Sugar
Suker
Milk
Laban
1 spoonful, 2 spoonfuls
Mal3aga, mal3agteen
Adjectives, Adverbs
A little
Shwaya
A lot
Kateer
Far
Ba3eed
Near
Gareeb
Full (I’m full)
Shab3aan/shab3aana
Hot (I'm hot)
Sakhin/sakhna
Here, there
Hina, hinak
Just
Bas
Now
Al’an, hassa
Other Words
Cellphone
Telephone, mobile
Cellphone credit
Raseed
Cellphone charger
Shahin
Taxi that is a mini minibus
Amjad
Money
Guroosh
Change (as in coins)
Fakka
And
wa
But
Lakin
Bread
Aysh
Juice
3seer
Congratulations
Mabruk 

No comments:

Post a Comment

what is on your mid